Monday, May 6, 2013

April 22-27

Dear Sister Israelsen (sweetheart!),
 
Today is Cinco de Mayo and there is a big celebration in downtown Denver. It always makes me wonder if we are in Mexico. But of course we also celebrate St. Patricks day (Irish), Columbus day (Spain) etc... I guess one day we will have an offical Cinco de Mayo day. Just another holiday for people to go a little crazy.
 
This week is Jake's last week of high school and he is sooooooooooooo done. He only has to go on Monday and Tuesday and then he wants to start working right away with the Dischners, digging in window wells. I think they will give him more hours than Northglenn and they will pay him more. He hasnt even heard back from Northglenn yet. They are too worried about him taking 10 days off to go to China, so I dont think they will even offer him a job. The same for Rachel (bummer), but she got a job at waterworld as a lifeguard and she starts with training this week. She really didnt want to work there again but Northglenn is just not coming through.
 
Rachel did her one act play this weekend on Friday and Saturday. It was a good play but it was long. They had 2 one acts, the first one went for about 30 min. and then Rachels went for about 1 1/2 hours (arrrrrrrhhhgggggg) She had a couple of small parts in the play but she had fun and then they had a cast party on Saturday until 1am. When I went to get her there were still a lot of cars around the house, I asked her how many people were still at the party and she told me that she was one of the first ones to go. I had a hard enought time staying awake until 1, those poor parents that came later. See, Im getting old, I cant even stay up until one without griping about it. 
 
This is the last week for seminary also and the kids, as well as the teachers are ready to be done. I will miss it over the summer but I will not miss getting up at 5am every morning. 
 
Elizabeth had her science fair this week. Mom is just glad that she can get rid of the rotten apples in the jars hanging around the kitchen. She did so well, she is really getting better at doing her homework. I think she is really improving at doing school work. I think there are still times that other kids tease her, but she seems to deal with it pretty well.
 
On Wednesday, Mom and I went to a school board meeting. WHAT a disappointment. The school board has created so many bad feelings between teachers and the school board that it was hard to listen to them as they talked about how much money that they have in reserves, which they are not willing to give to the teachers. Right now the teachers are working without a contract. It may come to them going on strike! we will see.
 
Well, How are you doing? Hows the new companion and area? A new area means that there are no investigators, so how are you doing with that. Are there any members of the church in your area? Do you have to travel far for church? and are there any other missionaries in your district that are close by?
 
I Love you!! Do all you can and the Lord will bless you. Look for the little things that bring happiness and you will see how much the Lord is blessing you. 
 
Dad

Hello Zuster! 

 How are you? How are you feeling? I noticed that you took some money out of your account. Are things ok? We had a crazy week - I think I say that every week. Dad went to Bozeman and then to Ohio - he left Sunday and got back late Friday night. We waited for him to get home because we hadn't had dinner together for so long. It was nice to have everyone home together for one night. 

On Monday, we had a snow storm again and Rachel, Elizabeth and I got our hair cut. On Tuesday it was Capstone presentations and judging at Legacy. They assigned Jake to me so I asked someone to trade me for one presentation because I could tell that Jake was surprised to have me in there. The presentations were either well prepared or they were terrible, there wasn't any middle ground but I think it is a nice way to have kids leave the system with some feedback about their presentation skills before entering the workforce etc. 

Elizabeth is finishing up her science fair project - can't wait to have that done and the moldy apples out of our house! :) We will send you a picture of them! On Wednesday, I went downtown to Metro and co-taught a class with preservice teachers and graduate students.

Thursday was take you child to work day and Elizabeth begged to go with me so she helped me all day. She was actually excited to be in the room and was good help. After school, we even had our championship for Battle of the Books and she kept score. 

This week we had two Holocaust survivors come to Hulstrom to speak to the kids. They were both children, one in Poland and one in Germany. He was in Auchwitz and she was hidden by a family in the attic of a barn. It was haunting to listen to their stories. I spent much of Friday night telling the family their stories. It is so sad that we can treat each other like that and that they were able to get so many to go along with it. He ended by talking about what the world had learned after the Holocaust - not much. He talked about DarFur and Iran's Achkmindinijad - said he made Hilter look like a Boy Scout. 

Saturday was the Prom. 6 couples met at our house with their parents to take pictures. Their parents came over and of course the limo was late - AUGHHHHH! I think they had fun and the Prom was at Infinity Park. I will send you pictures in another email since I can't figure out how to attach them in the iPad. We got to have dinner with the parents. It was a nice night. 

We are on our way right now to go to the Lundgren's for dinner. YUM! We will miss you! 

Love you!
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment